Friday 18 May 2007

And when I thought it was over....


And when I thought it was over....

I'd been told I have to have retainers for another 6 months. I mean yeah, it's good in that it helps it keep the teeth in a sturdy position until they have become accustomed to its new feel and all. But a top and bottom retainer gets annoying. I had them in for one evening already, and I think I need to attend speech pathology classes or something, I can't speak properly, I sound like a baby, and probably when dad gets back again, he's gonna judge me on my speaking again and call me a spastic. It's an annoying feel, having this bit of smoothened plastic which my tongue rests on, and I am so tempted to just lift it and catapult it to whoever sits infront of me :P

Had to get up early for 8:15am debanding appointment, which involved taking the braces off, all that clipping and wire pulling, filing and electronic drilly thingy, I still got the whole image in my head. Seriously I had like an audience watching, the trainee dental nurse, the actual dental nurse, the receptionist, a dentristy student and of course the orthodontsist.

First Dr. Wong clipped between the metal pieces and where the tooth was, so where the glue is basically, it sounded soooo metallic. Then when he got to the ends where there is a PIECE of metal wrapped around my back teeth, something similar to a screwdriver was used to unskew it, so that the entired of the metal stuff came out in one piece. That was excruciatingly painful.

After that came the filing tool (manually), scraping away any excess glue stuck on my teeth, reminds me of nails on chalkboards. But that's not it, more refined filing required, this time with the electronic drilly thingy, a suction and water at the same time, I mean seriously how many more tools do you need in there. He also had the little mirror thing. OMG I nearly gagged coz one of the metal things went down my throat, lucky Dr. Wong saw it and suctioned it out. Or I woulda killed the trainee dental nurse. But that's not all, he changes the drill end to what seems like a mini-disc, a rotating disc that is attached to the end, and by looks of things it didn't look tight at all, in that it could fall off any soon and give someone a very gruesome plastic surgery.

Finally the process of removal is done, but wait theres more...MOULDS!!!! If you have ever done this, you would know it is so hard to breathe through your nose, when there is cement looking thing going down your throat and attached to your teeth, and that could very well rip em all out. It gets messy. But the retainers, I got a fluro mauve colour, I didn't wanna go for pink, I was very tempted to get green, but thought to myself, people might think why I still have toothpaste in my mouth or something. I did get a green box for em though :P

I didn't get the retainers till 5:30pm. Having no braces and no retainer yet, was quite a strange feeling. At first it seemed like I had aged, and that my lips felt like they were drooping, then the tongue gets touchy and runs down the front of the teeth like it's never done that before, and realising how smooth it was (yeah they missed each other :P) And then looking into the mirror and realising the teeth to gum ratio was such a difference, not used to having soooo much WHITE hehe. Now I shall have to practise smiling more.

AND I did get that Toblerone I was after, however haven't started at it, I had my first meal braces free, the minute I came home from the orthondist. Fatty salmon, fried rice and chicken, which was at 10am. When I went back to him in the arvo, he's like what you eat...I said breakfast LOL It was true though, I didn't have anything else to eat after that.

So next time you see me, please try not to say "sorry, say that again" too many times, it might hurt my feelings, coz it's not like I don't know how to speak, it's now that I have a new lisp (man I can't even say that word properly)

Cheers
Wendy

No comments: