Friday 20 July 2007

Dissappointing really

Dissappointing really

Choking can result in unconsciousness and cardiopulmonary arrest. It is often caused by food or other foreign body lodged in the throat (airway). Indeed, choking caused by foreign body airway obstruction accounts for about 3,000 deaths each year. The recognition and proper management of choking is of key importance to safety in homes, restaurants, and other public places.

I should pick up first aid again, even if it is to save my OWN LIFE. I would definitely come in handy for every dying situation I might get into again, seriously... I have been thinking about the redoing the first aid course for a long while, but First Aid Workplace level 2 = $175. I've done it before, maybe I'll just redo the CPR refresher course...dunno, I didn't really pass the test back in year 10, but they gave the certificate to me anyways.

My dying moment: I came home at 8pm, I had work at 9pm to 12am, so I was rushing dinner a bit. Dinner was lamb chops and vegies. My sister was at the TV playing Mario on the Nintendo Wii, mum was cooking so wasn't keeping an eye on me.

Here I am, forking and steak knifing the lamb chop, I should have either sliced it smaller, chewed it longer, or SHUT UP and EAT...but I choked on this lamb piece, like half in-half out, and seriously seeing my death coming quickly, I was crying, and trying to cough it out for about 30seconds or more.

I think I was definitely changing colour, I could feel it. I'm mostly dissappointed that my sis and mum are both there watching and hearing me choke to death. Mum forgiven since she was watching the stove, so she had a 'burn the house down' or 'watch daughter die' scenario, obviously me less important.

But my sis could have stopped playing, chucked the Wii controller, ran to the dinner table and given me some assistance or something. NO she turned round and just looked.

No chance, I had to SAVE myself, I actually stuck my hand in my mouth the remove the "foreign object" and eventually relieved my airway stress and was able to breathe again. But it was scary.

But after I caught my breath again, I sorta cracked it at her. Her words were "I don't know first aid, what was I suppose to do?...I have my mobile next to me, I can call for an ambulance if you needed it"

But come'on u stared for 30seconds, how long would it take to actually get onto that 000 call and actually follow their instructions, I woulda passed out already.

Dissappointed really, quite dissappointed.

AS for mum, yeah she knows first aid(sorta, hers expired WAY before mine) but she definitely knows what to do in a choking scenario, seeing she works at a nursing home, and choking is common for old folks, hence title of "grandma food" comes along. I call lamb shanks grandma food, I shoulda asked mum for some lamb shanks eh?

But whilst I was choking, the only person in my vision was my sister, I couldn't see my mum coz she was on the side of me, but my sister was in my general view; STRAIGHT AHEAD.

Sigh, I don't know whether I'll learn from my choking mistake, because I swear I've choked on food many times before, but nothing like lamb, perhaps a fish bone or a vegie, but MEAT is definitely a major killer to the 3000 deaths a year I reckon.

SO incase of someone choking, this is what to do: First thing is first, if you are the choker, try and prevent this scenario from happening; cut pieces smaller; chew food slowly and thoroughly; avoid talking, chewing and swallowing; and avoid excessive alcohol intake before and during a meal.

If person is conscious: ask if they are choking, if they can speak, cough or breathe it means they're trying to clear the airway and possible of expelling the foreign object. However if they cannot speak, cough or breathe, give abdominal thrusts from behind to help the victim expell the object. IF persons is obese or pregant, use chest thrusts. Continue until the obstruction is relieved. If victim is uncomfortable seek medical advice.

If person is unconscious, position victime on their back, with their arms on their sides, ask for assistance, call for emergency. Lift chin up, and try and remove foreign object with fingers, in cases it could be their tongue blocking airway, try and move it out. If unsuccessful give 6-10 abdominal thrusts. Once removed, begin ABC's of CPR.

A- Airway
  • Place victim flat on his/her back on a hard surface.
  • Shake victim at the shoulders and shout "are you okay?"
  • If no response, call emergency 000 then,
  • Head-tilt/chin-lift - open victims' airway by tilting their head back with one hand while lifting up their chin with your other hand.
B- Breathing
  • Position your cheek close to victims' nose and mouth, look toward victims' chest, and
  • Look, listen, and feel for breathing (5-10 seconds)
  • If not breathing, pinch victim's nose closed and give 2 full breaths into victim's mouth
  • If breaths won't go in, reposition head and try again to give breaths. If still blocked, perform abdominal thrusts
C- Circulation
  • Check for carotid pulse by feeling for 5-10 seconds at side of victims' neck.
  • If there is a pulse but victim is not breathing, give Rescue breathing at rate of 1 breath every 5 seconds Or 12 breaths per minute
  • If there is no pulse, begin chest compressions as follows:
  • Place heel of one hand on lower part of victim's sternum. With your other hand directly on top of first hand, Depress sternum 1.5 to 2 inches.
  • Perform 15 compressions to every 2 breaths. (rate: 80-100 per minute)
  • check for return of pulse every minute.
Seek medical assistance straight after.
I truly worry the next time I choke, and when I become unconscious, who'll CPR me if I'm not there to save myself???

No comments: